Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is data organization?
Data organization is the way in which you name and select your data. Best practices include:
- Be consistent with how you name directories, folders, and files
- Always include the same information
- Retain the order of information
- Be descriptive so others can understand what file names mean
- Keep track of versions (and be consistent!)
- Use application-specific codes for file extensions, such as .mov, tif, wrl
- It will be important to track changes in your data files especially if there is more than one person involved in the research.
Metadata are data that provide information about other data. Metadata can either be created automatically or manually. Various standards or formats can be used to organize metadata. A funding source MAY require you to use a specific type of metadata standard.
- Photograph metadata: what camera created the file, exposure information, when the photograph was taken, what filter was used, where the photograph was taken, etc.
- Telecommunications metadata: origins and destinations of calls, who was on the call, when the call was made (time and date), call duration, call type, etc.
Best Practices of Data Management
The DataONE Best Practices database provides individuals with recommendations on how to effectively work with their data through all stages of the data lifecycle.
Free Version Control Software
This site is built for coders to upload, share, and collaborate on code with each other. Metrics tracked by GitHub include watchers, collaborators, and forks (when someone copies code to develop for their own purposes). GitHub is one of the few ways programmers can track the impact of their code.
Bulk Rename Utility
Free File Rename Utility for Windows. Rename multiple files with the click of a button. Batch renaming made easy.
Digital asset management software.
Revision control / version control / source control software for Windows.