Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Under the Format tab in EndNote Basic, click on Cite While You Write Plug-In. This page has plug-in options for Microsoft Office for both Microsoft and Macintosh (Apple). Follow the directions on the screen or make use of the help guide.
Cite While You Write will appear as a tab in your Microsoft Word application.
There are also plug-ins for OpenOffice and Pages. See the below link for more information.
Find and insert a citation in your Word document using EndNote Basic's insert citation tool. This tool searches your library (all reference fields for all references).
- Move the cursor where you want the citation .
- Depending on your version of Word, you will need to find the EndNote tab or toolbar.
- Click on "Insert Citations."
- Enter a search term, such as author's last name, keyword, title, to find the correct reference.
- Click search. Word will search your EndNote references and a list of matching references will appear.
- Select the reference(s) you want.
- Click insert.
- An in-text citation will appear and the reference will be added to a bibliography at the end of the document.
Use the edit citations tool to fix errors or delete your citations created with Cite While You Write. Highlight the reference you wish to edit and click on the edit citations button.